The City of Edmonton handles Residential and commercial permits differently with different types of zoning Bylaw, Overlays and code requirement etc. Washroom requirements, barrier-free requirements, functional requirements and parking requirements are some of the factors in new commercial developments that can affect the success of a commercial development.
When Do I need a Commercial Permit?
If you are altering any of the commercial property’s structures such as load-bearing walls beams, columns, foundations or any major mechanical or electrical works, adding an addition, new building, new kitchens, new windows (size changed), new doors (size changed), change of use, barrier-free features, exterior alterations, renovation work over the minimum size limit etc, you will require Edmonton City permits.
If you are a new tenant with a new business moving into a space and you need to construct rooms, storage rooms, washrooms or commercial kitchens and etc, you will require permits. In the City of Edmonton, permits are basically divided into 2 major permit types: Development Permit and Building Permit.
- Prepare your permits early and be ahead of the game
- Commence your permit materials once you have secured a lease
- Consult a Permit expert early
- The are 2 type major types of Edmonton permits
- Most new businesses will require the Development Permit and the Building Permit
- Both permits will require permit fees
- Permit review process from the City can take up to 6-12 weeks+ to complete
Our service fees are reasonable. Please click the link below to get a free quote. We will get back to you within 24 hrs